We are for Sustainable Building
In the challenging transition to a greener world, we know what our job is. It is to sort through the many green products, find the keepers, and make them price competitive. It’s the difference between what is for sale and what is worth selling. When you decide to go green, we will work with you every step of the way with lumber, caulking, siding...drop by the yard or give us a call and see how going green has never been easier.
Engineered Wood Products
These engineered products may be preferred over solid wood products and are often sourced from fast growing aspen trees without impact upon our Old Growth forests. Easy to work with using ordinary power tools and basic skills, engineered wood products make more efficient use of wood, including smaller trees and underutilized species.
- Laminated Veneer Lumber (LVL) can be used in the same structural applications as conventional sawn lumber and timber — including rafters, headers, beams, joists, rim boards and studs. Composed of solid wood veneers, LVL’s virtually eliminate all the natural defects, warping and wane of solid or finger-jointed lumber.
- Engineered Wood Flooring (I-Joists) are “I” shaped structural members designed for use in floor and roof construction. I-Joist’s use less lumber than a dimensional solid wood joist of a size necessary for the same task. This product has been on the market since its invention in 1969 and is proven to hold its structural integrity.
- Glulams and Paralams (PSL) are a highly innovative and versatile construction material engineered for a host of residential and commercial construction applications. Composed of individual wood laminations, or “lams”, specifically selected and positioned in the timber, and bonded together with durable, moisture-resistant adhesives.
- More Engineered Wood Products
Green Building Products
By investing in the use of green construction materials you can increase efficiency, save money, preserve our natural resources and minimize pollution. At the same time you create a healthy non-toxic work and living environment for your clients or family. These construction materials are all designed and manufactured to be environmentally friendly.
With the Artisan V-Rustic premium exterior siding from James Hardie you can achieve the historic look and beauty of V-Rustic siding without concern for the drawbacks of wood siding performance.
Unlike wood siding which may rot, curl, warp or split from extended exposure to moisture, Artisan premium exterior siding resists the harshest weather, prolonging the life of the siding. Plus, Artisan premium exterior siding resist the spread of flame, providing greater security from fire.
- REX™ SynFelt A 100% Polypropylene woven synthetic underlayment that offers a strong, secure and green alternative to conventional asphalt roof underlayments. The specially formulated anti-slip surface makes REX SynFelt the most slip resistant underlayment in the industry. 20 times stronger than 30# felt paper and 10 times lighter per square — REX SynFelt won’t tear-off or buckle when wet and is UV resistant (can be exposed for up to 6 months). The light gray color reduces heat and provides a cooler working surface while the pre-printed nailing pattern speeds installation.
Available in rolls — 48" x 125' (500 sf) | 25 year warranty
↓ REX SynFelt Synthetic Roof Underlayment Brochure | PDF 1.3mb
- Trex Composite Decking Trex is the world’s leading brand of eco-friendly wood-alternative outdoor living products that combine lasting beauty and performance in decking, railing, trim and pergolas. The manufacture of this product recycles over 1.3 billion grocery bags annually. We stock four product lines in three colors.
Available in 1 x 6 in 12', 16' and 20' lengths
- James Hardie Fiber-Cement Siding James Hardie is a world Leader in Fiber Cement Siding providing 'A Better Way to Build' with advanced Fiber Cement technology that will increase the beauty, value, and durability of your home.
Available in 8-1/4" Smooth or Cedarmill and 4 x 8 panels in Smooth, Cedar Mill or Serra
1x8 Artisan V-Rustic siding is available in 12' lengths
- Ram Board Ram Board is a heavy-duty, temporary floor protection engineered for Contractors. Designed with cost and efficiency in mind, it lays out fast and is re-usable. Ram Board is composed of 100% recycled materials and contributes toward LEED credits.
Available in 38" x 100‘ rolls
Economy Lumber Company is FSC certified
As a result of the increased interest in green building practices, a number of organizations have developed codes and systems that allow you to plan and shop with confidence. We at Economy Lumber have chosen to be certified with the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). What this means to you our customer, is the assurance that this lumber meets strict criteria for environmental sustainability and social responsibility in the management of our world’s forests.
Can’t find what you are looking for?
Give us a call — we carry a wide variety of green building products in the store or available by special order.
Contractor Sales: 510 437-1185